Dollar extends recovery amid recession warnings

Economies.com
2022-12-07 11:51AM UTC

Dollar rose in European trade against a basket of major rivals for the third straight session off six-month lows on short-covering.

 

Dollar is also boosted by haven demand amid spreading warnings about US recession next week due to inflationary pressures, hurting risk appetite. 

 

The Index

 

The dollar index rose 0.2% to 105.82, with a session-low at 105.45, after closing up 0.3% yesterday, the second profit in a row, away from six-month lows at 104.11. 

 

Recession

 

CEOs of JPMorgan, Bank of America, and Goldman Sachs warned that inflation will threaten consumer demand, and that banks are preparing for deteriorating conditions in 2023.

 

US recession would no doubt force the Fed to slow down its pace of policy tightening even further, in turn underpinning gold futures.

 

Fed Rates

 

After latest strong US services data, markets now put a 25% chance for the Fed to hike rates by 75 basis points, and a 75% chance for a hike by 50 basis points. 

Forex and Currency News

Forex News

Forex

The dollar declines after weak US data
2024-03-01 21:25PM UTC
The dollar declined against most major rivals on Friday following weak data and speculation about ...
EUR/USD news

Forex

Euro gains ground ahead of European inflation data
2024-03-01 08:14AM UTC
Euro rose in European trade on Friday against a basket of major rivals, holding above one-week lows ...
Forex News

Forex

Dollar edges up after inflation data
2024-02-29 21:46PM UTC
Dollar rose against most major rivals on Thursday following US inflation data, which could have an ...

Forex Technical Analysis

GBP USD Analysis

Forex

Midday update for the GBPUSD 01-03-2024
2024-03-01 10:39AM UTC
The GBPUSD pair keeps its stability below 1.2650, to keep the correctional bearish trend valid for ...
EUR USD Analysis

Forex

Midday update for the EURUSD 01-03-2024
2024-03-01 10:39AM UTC
The EURUSD pair fluctuates around the EMA50 since morning, and didn’t show any strong move ...
GBP USD Analysis

Forex

The GBPUSD breaks the support - Analysis - 01-03-2024
2024-03-01 08:47AM UTC
The GBPUSD pair faced clear negative pressure yesterday, as it broke 1.2650 level and closed the ...